5 Fun Ways to Deepen Your Relationship on Valentine's Day
Ah, Valentine's Day! Red roses, sparkly hearts, chocolates and hallmark cards.... it can seem like the modern take on celebrating love is just the teeniest bit cheesy.
But did you know that Valentine's Day is inspired by a long history, and it's current version stems from the 18th century?
A popular version says that Saint Valentine of Rome was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry. According to legend, during his imprisonment, he healed the daughter of his jailer, Asterius. The story states that before his execution he wrote her a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell.
It was during the 18th century that the remembrance of Saints named Valentine shifted to celebrate romantic love with chocolates and flowers, a tradition we still copy today.
So instead of chocolate, I'm a huge fan of finding deeper meaning in this special day. We remember all the unique and special things about our love story and see just how much we've flourished together as a couple.
Here are my top 5 favourite relationship deepening activities for Valentine's Day:
- Sunset picnic - there is nothing like lying on a picnic rug star gazing together and feeling the spaciousness, to give you some perspective. In all the bigness of the universe, there truly is nothing better than having one person know you completely.
- Handmade presents - the best part is the time and thought that go into them. It might be a favourite shared dessert, a jar full of love notes, or this fun deck of cards love notes.
- Hand written Love Letters - taking the time to write a letter by hand, to fully explain your thoughts and feelings is always appreciated. I would always prefer a hand written letter over the sparkliest store bought card.
- A photo session - whether it's visiting a photo booth, having a friend take some happy snaps, or going all out to have a photographer capture some special moments. You'll have fun choosing a location and getting all cuddly.
- Vouchers - and I don't mean store bought ones. I mean cute printable ones, or hand made ones that can include thoughtful favours - my favourites are always a foot rub, back massage, a D&M session (a Deep & Meaningful chat, in case you didn't know!) and a child free sleep in morning. Bliss! (Stay tuned for next week - I'll post a free printable for you to borrow.)
Bonus Idea: Read through your old love letters together - out loud! We have our own box of special letters, poems, cards, tickets, and funny trinkets we've given each other over the years. For a super boost in feeling loved, dust off the lid, and be reminded of the words and feelings you've shared - you'll probably shed a tear or two, and you'll definitely feel closer as you remember your history together.
I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and tell me: What's your absolute favourite thing to do on Valentine's Day?